Set in the picturesque Sahyadri range, Mahabaleshwar is among the most coveted, frequented and well developed hill station towns in Maharashtra. Boasting of an enviable range of naturally beautiful sightseeing locations, clear water lakes with boating and lakeside horse riding, old temples enjoying immeasurable local reverence, and awesome connectivity to other cities of the state, Mahabaleshwar is the place to be in, especially if you’re yet to enjoy the treat it has to offer. Just 250 km away from Mumbai, this quint and rustic hill station is the holiday of choice for people from the business capital of India, with a well-developed road network ensuring that you reach Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai within 6 hours.
Here are some irresistible travel flavours that Mahabaleshwar has up its alley for you, each inviting enough to coax you into planning a weekend getaway to this fantastic hill town in Maharashtra.
- Sprawling over more than 150 km² area, Mahabaleshwar is the largest hill station in Maharashtra, and is also rife with terrific sightseeing, lodging, and dining options.
- Among the favourite getaways for people from Mumbai, Mahabaleshwar will never disappoint you in terms of the hustle bustle brought to it by enthusiastic and chirpy travellers.
- Take a stroll down the memory lane by experiencing the rustic charms of old heritage bungalows and buildings in Mahabaleshwar, ideal for some lazy moments and memorable photographs.
- Panchgani, another popular hill station in Maharashtra, is merely 20 km drive away from Mahabaleshwar, so there’s every reason for you to spend that extended weekend or the long pending family vacation here.
Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar – a holiday that begins with the journey!
Over the past few years, going to Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai has become all the more enjoyable because of the Mumbai-Pune expressway, a breath-taking stretch that lets you test out the speed limits of your vehicles, side by side serving a buffet of fabulous natural sights on both sides of the road, and dotted with artistically built tunnels and well-organized tolls. Savour the glory of the greenery on your sides in the lovely morning light as you head over to Mahabaleshwar on a lovely weekend morning. Of course, you’d find fading tea stalls as well as towering food joints on your way to Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai via Surur and Panchgani. The ride from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar is indeed the beginning of the joy that the tour has in store for you.
Accommodation in Mahabaleshwar – the complete spectrum of options
Finding an accommodation option that’s perfectly in line with your requirements is never a problem in Mahabaleshwar. If you’re on a budget, you will be able to find a family run lodge or a well maintained hostel for accommodation. Of course, there are several resorts for you, if you wish to splurge. Right from family operated lodges posing as homes away from home to flashy resorts offering the best of contemporary luxuries, there’s something for everyone.
- Check out the old world charms of Hotel Dina along with the warm hospitality extended by the owners, or head over to Hotel TempleView for a stay amidst the wilderness.
- Farm houses and independent 2 BHK and 3BHK accommodation options are also available for large groups.
- Recline back and relax in the cool evenings at Frederick Hotel, or enjoy the pampering that Saj Resort has in store for you.
These are just a few of the popular hotels and lodging options in Mahabaleshwar; you can easily find something that’s tailor made for you. Sunset views, lake views, forest views, swimming pools with waterfalls, relaxing massages, complimentary breakfast buffets, and more – Mahabaleshwar is equipped to impress you with its lodging options.
Sightseeing and touring in Mahabalshwar – the nature’s favourite!
Mahabaleshwar offers literally unforgettable views of nature in all its glory, particularly enjoyed by travellers from the packed cities of Pune and Mumbai.
- If you don’t mind rambling walks, wake up really early to head over to Wilson’s Point for a mesmerizing rendezvous with nature.
- Elphinstone , Kate’s, and Babington points are also easily accessible from the central town, and deserve a place in your itinerary.
- You might also want to be prepared for international pop hits playing out from the open trunks of vehicles. However, if you’re looking for undisturbed quietude in the lap of nature, drive off to Arthur’s Seat and say hello to the skies from the edge of a 600m cliff!
- Add some water magic to your day with a visit to waterfalls such as Chinaman’s, Lingmala and Dhobi’s Falls.
- For a more engaging excursion, head over to Venna Lake where you can hire a pedal boat or a rowboat for an hour or two and have some fun times with family and friends. You can also opt for horse riding at the lake, with trained horse riders making beautifully clad horses trot along the circuit for a memorable evening experience.
- Tapola is another getaway, 50 km from Mahabaleshwar, offering exciting boating experiences, dotted with mesmerizing views of strawberry farms on the way.
Eating around in Mahabaleshwar – the strawberry town!
Mahabaleshwar is renowned throughout Maharashtra and other neighbouring states because of abundance and quality of carrots, mulberries and strawberries produce. Locally grown corn has also gathered popularity in the recent past. The influences of these produces on the local cuisine, or at least the menus of the restaurants in the town, are obvious. Try out corn patties and strawberry cream desserts in several restaurants and eateries spread across the lengths and breadths of the town. Get down to Hotel TempleView’s mouth-watering pranthas and Rajasthani preparations, stop over at the Mapro Garden for a quick snack, or shop for the famous ‘Red Lady’ strawberry in the local markets. For a fine dining experience, consider going out to a restaurant in one of the resorts in and around Mahabaleshwar.
Truly, a tour to Mahabelshwar is a refreshing experience with all its amazing naturally beautiful sights and sounds, the plethora of affordable and luxurious accommodation options, and tongue tickling foods.
How to reach There by Car using Taxi Service.
Call – 9619378898 or 9967391103
email – [email protected]
Approx Charges for a 3 day trip *
Midsize Car Toyota Etios AC – 10,500/-
Bigger SUV Car Toyota Innova AC – 14,500/-